Cody Harrison Fleming, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor, Systems Engineering & Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Virginia
PhD - Aeronautics and Astronautics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2015)
MS - Civil and Environmental Engineering
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2004)
BS - Engineering
Hope College (2003)
Prior to joining UVA I was a graduate student in the DEPARTMENT OF AERONAUTICS AND ASTRONAUTICS at the MASSACHUSETTS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY. I worked in Professor NANCY LEVESON‘s Systems Engineering Research Lab. Before returning to get my doctorate, I worked for several years in the aerospace industry where I helped develop large satellite systems.
I grew up in Iowa, and unfortunately I will reinforce some stereotypes as my high school was in the middle of the corn field. I have since lived in Michigan, Los Angeles, Boston (twice), and now C’Ville.
- Jafarzadeh, H. and Fleming C. A Novel Exact Algorithm for Online Robot Path Planning, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science (AMCS), accepted for publication. Impact Factor: 1.694.
- Boyer, R.; Scherer, W.; Fleming C.; Connors, C.; and Whitehead, N. Using Topic Models To Understand Systems and Identify Strong Systems Thinking IEEE Systems Journal, Sept 2018 Vol: 12, Issue:3 Pp: 2937-2948, DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2017.2725920. Impact Factor: 4.337.
- Fleming C. and Leveson, N.G. Early Concept Development and Safety Analysis of Future Transportation Systems, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Vol. 17, No. 12 (2016), pp. 3512-3523. Impact Factor: 4.051.
- Fleming C. and Leveson, N. Improving Hazard Analysis and Certiﬁcation of Integrated Modular Avionics, AIAA Journal of Aerospace Information Systems, Vol. 11, No. 6 (2014), pp. 397-411. Impact Factor: 0.892.
- Ishimatsu, T., Leveson, N.G., Thomas, J.P., Fleming C., Katahira, M., Miyamoto, Y., Ujiie, R., Nakao, H. and Hoshino, N. Analysis of Complex Spacecraft Using Systems Theoretic Process Analysis, AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 51, No. 2 (2014), pp. 509- 522. Impact Factor: 1.207.
- Fleming C.; Spencer, M.; Leveson, N.; and Wilkinson, C. Safety assurance in NextGen and complex transportation systems, Safety Science, Volume 55, June 2013, Pages 173-187. Impact Factor: 2.835.
- Mahmoud Elnaggar, Kamin Whitehouse and Cody Fleming. Bayesian Wireless Channel Prediction for Safety-Critical Connected Autonomous Vehicles, Bayesian Deep Learning Workshop – NIPS 2018.
- G. Bakirtzis, B. Simon, C. Fleming, and C. Elks. Looking for a Black Cat in a Dark Room: Security Visualization for Cyber-Physical System Design and Analysis, IEEE Symposium on Visualization for Cyber Security (VizSec), Berlin, Germany, October 2018. Acceptance rate: 35%
- Bashiri, M., Jafarzadeh, H., and Fleming C. PAIM: Platoon-based Autonomous Intersection Management, 2018 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference (ITSC 2018), Hawaii, November 2018. Role: Advisor of student.
- Sun, M., Ge, X., and Fleming C. Resolving a Dilemma: Guaranteeing Conﬂict-free 4D- Trajectories While Leaving Autonomy to Airlines, 2018 IEEE/AIAA 37th Digital Avionics Systems Conference (DASC), London, UK, September 2018.
- R. Bailey, C.H. Fleming, W.T. Scherer, M.C. Smith, W.H. Guilford, J.W. Lark, III, D. Elzey, S. Russell, S. Acton, B.L. Smith. Integrating Systems Approaches into Education Using Active Case Studies, Frontiers in Education 2018, San Jose, CA USA, October 2018.
- S. Adams, B. Carter, C. Fleming, P.A. Beling. Selecting System Speciﬁc Cyber-Security Attack Patterns using Topic Modeling, 17th IEEE International Conference On Trust, Security And Privacy In Computing And Communications (IEEE TrustCom-18), New York, NY USA, August 2018. Role: Advisor of student. Acceptance rate: 16%
- B. Carter, C. Fleming, C. Elks, and G. Bakirtzis. Cyber-Physical Systems Modeling for Security Using SysML. CSER 2018:16th-Annual Conference on Systems Engineering, Charlottesville, VA USA, May 2018.
- B. Carter, G. Bakirtzis, C. Elks, C. Fleming, A Systems Approach for Eliciting Mission-Centric Security Requirements, 12th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference SYSCON, Vancouver BC, Canada, April 2018. Role: Advisor of two students. Acceptance rate: 53% Best Student Paper award Runner Up
- G. Bakirtzis, B.T. Carter, C.R. Elks, C.H. Fleming, A Model-Based Approach to Security Analysis for Cyber-Physical Systems, 12th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference SYSCON, Vancouver BC, Canada, April 2018. Role: Advisor of two students. Acceptance rate: 53%
- Bashiri, M. and Fleming C. A Platoon-Based Intersection Management System for Autonomous Vehicles, 2017 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV 2017), Redondo Beach, CA, June 2017. Role: Advisor of student. Acceptance rate: 50% [average for previous years]
- Fleming C. Systems Theory and a Drive Towards Model-based Safety Analysis, 11th Annual IEEE International Systems Conference, special session on Theoretical Foundations of Systems Engineering (THEFOSE), Montreal, Quebec, April 2017. Role: sole author. Acceptance rate: 45% [average for previous years]
- Fleming C. A Systems-theoretic Approach to Early Concept Development, SMC2016, 2016 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Budapest, Hungary, October 2016. Role: sole author. Acceptance rate: 42%
- Fleming, C.; Leveson, N. Integrating Systems Safety into Systems Engineering during Concept Development, 25th Annual INCOSE International Symposium 2015, Seattle, WA, July 2015. Winner: Brian Mar Best Student Paper award
- Fleming C.; Leveson, N. Including Safety during Early Development Phases of Future Air Traﬃc Management Concepts, Eleventh USA/Europe Air Traﬃc Management Research and Development Seminar (ATM2015), Lisbon, Portugal, June 2015. Acceptance rate: 40%
- Leveson, N.; Fleming C.; Thomas, J.; Wilkinson, C. A Comparison of SAE ARP 4761 and STPA Safety Assessment Processes, 23rd Safety-critical Systems Symposium (SSS’15), Bristol, UK, February 2015.