Rong Zhao, Ph.D.
Title: CVDI Site Managing Director; Director of Software Systems Division at CEWIT, Faculty Member of Department of Computer Science and Adjunct Faculty of Department of Technology & Society at Stony Brook University
- Phone: (631) 632-4627
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://www.cs.stonybrook.edu/people/faculty/RongZhao
PhD - Computer Science
Wayne State University (2010)
Stony Brook University (2001)
BE - Computer Science and Technology
Tsinghua University (China)
Rong Zhao will serve as the Site Managing Director for CVDI at Stony Brook. Working from within the Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT), part of his responsibilities will be working directly with companies to conduct research, identifying member opportunities, ensuring I/UCRC compliance, and organizing CVDI workshops at Stony Brook.
As Deputy Director of NSF I/UCRC Center for Dynamic Data Analytics (CDDA) at Stony Brook University, Zhao was responsible for assisting the center director in establishing strategic directions and recruiting corporate members for the CDDA’s industrial advisory board (IAB); managing the day-to-day operations of the center and providing support to IAB members and center researchers; identifying and pursuing funding for sponsored research and outreach initiatives; organizing semi-annual workshops and IAB meetings; coordinating center activities with other university partners; and preparing NSF reports.
As Director of Software Systems Division of the New York State Center of Excellence in Wireless and Information Technology (CEWIT) at Stony Brook University, Zhao assists in managing center operations and developing strategic initiatives; identifying funding sources, and participating in SBU’s economic development activities, such as the incubator programs, StartUp NY, Student Entrepreneurship Competition, and Long Island Angel Network.
- Z. Zhang, F. Ahmed, A. Mittal, I. Ramakrishnan, R. Zhao, A. Viccellio, and K. Mueller, AnamneVis: A Framework for the Visualization of Patient History and Medical Diagnostics Chains, IEEE VisWeekWorkshop on Visual Analytics in Healthcare, Providence, Rhode Island, 2011.
- Rong Zhao and William I. Grosky, Video Shot Detection Using Color Anglogram and Latent Semantic Indexing: From Contents to Semantics, Handbook of Video Databases: Design and Applications, B. Furhtand O. Marques (Eds.), CRC Press, 2003, pp. 371-392.
- Rong Zhao and William I. Grosky, Narrowing the Semantic Gap – Improved Text-Based Web Document Retrieval Using Visual Features, IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, 4(2), 2002, pp. 189-200.
- Rong Zhao and William I. Grosky, Negotiating the Semantic Gap: From Feature Maps to Semantic Landscapes, Pattern Recognition, 35(3), 2002, pp. 593-600.
- Rong Zhao and William I. Grosky, Bridging the Semantic Gap in Image Retrieval, Distributed Multimedia Databases: Techniques and Applications, T. K. Shih (Ed.), Idea Group Publishing, Hershey, Pennsylvania, 2001, pp. 14-36.
- Rong Zhao and William I. Grosky, From Features to Semantics: Some Preliminary Results, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, New York, 2000.