Teemu Roos, Ph.D.
Title: Associate Professor of Computer Science (Machine Learning and Data Science), University of Helsinki
Adjunct Professor, Faculty of Science
University of Helsinki (2011)
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Computer Science
University of Helsinki (2007)
Master of Science (M.Sc.) - Computer Science
University of Helsinki (2001)
Tervakosken Lukio, Janakkala (1994)
Teemu is the leader of the Information, Complexity and Learning (ICL) research group, which is a part of the CoSCo research group led by Prof. Petri Myllymäki. He is also affiliated with the Academy of Finland funded Centre of Excellence COIN.
- J. Leppä-aho, J. Pensar, T. Roos, and J. Corander (2017). Learning Gaussian graphical models with fractional marginal pseudo-likelihood, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning 83:21–42. preprint
- V. Hyvönen, T. Pitkänen, S. Tasoulis, E. Jääsaari, R. Tuomainen, L. Wang, J. Corander, and T. Roos (2016). Fast nearest neighbor search through sparse random projections and voting, in Proc. 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE Big-Data 2016), Washington DC, Dec. 5–8. C++ library (with Python bindings) | benchmarks
- T. Roos (2016). Minimum Description Length Principle, in Sammut, C. and Webb G.I. (eds), Encyclopedia of Machine Learning and Data Mining, 2016.
- J. Tehrani, Q. Nguyen, and T. Roos, (2016). Oral fairy tale or literary fake? Investigating the origins of Little Red Riding Hood using phylogenetic network analysis, Digital Scholarship in the Humanities 31(3):611–636.
- K. Watanabe and T. Roos, (2015). Achievability of asymptotic minimax regret by horizon-dependent and horizon-independent strategies, JMLR 16(Nov):2357–2375.
- A. Barron, T. Roos, and K. Watanabe, (2014). Bayesian properties of normalized maximum likelihood and its fast computation, in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT-2014), IEEE Press, pp. 1667–1671.
- M. Sherman, G. Clark, Y. Yang, S. Sugrim, A. Modig, J. Lindqvist, A. Oulasvirta, and T. Roos, (2014). User-generated free-form gestures for authentication: security and memorability, in Proc. 12th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (MobiSys-2014), ACM Press, pp. 176–189.
- J. Rissanen, T. Roos, and P. Myllymäki, (2010). Model selection by sequentially normalized least squares,Journal of Multivariate Analysis 101:4, 839–849. preprint | R code