William Scherer, Ph.D.
Title: Professor, Systems and Information Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Virginia
- Phone: (434) 982-2069
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://engineering.virginia.edu/faculty/william-t-scherer
Ph.D. - Systems Engineering
University of Virginia (1986)
University of Virginia (1981)
University of Virginia (1980)
William T. Scherer is an expert in systems engineering, stochastic control, and business analytics. Professor Scherer has served on the University of Virginia Department of Systems and Information Engineering faculty since 1986. He also consults with numerous organizations on the topics of systems thinking and business analytics applied to disparate organizations. He has authored and co-authored numerous publications (journal and conference papers, business cases, and book chapters) on intelligent decision support systems, transportation systems, stochastic control, and systems thinking. His current research focuses on systems engineering methodology, financial engineering and intelligent transportation systems. His co-authored book, How To Do Systems Analysis, was published by Wiley in 2007, and a follow-on book, How to Do Systems Analysis: Primer and Casebook, was also published by Wiley in 2016. He has strong interests in engineering education and has published papers on curriculum and pedagogy, and was awarded an Outstanding University of Virginia Faculty Award in 2007. He was also a Visiting Professor at the Darden Graduate School of Business in 2001-2002 and President of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Society 2007-2008.
- Systems Analysis Primer and Casebook, Wiley, 2016.GIBSON, J.E., SCHERER, W.T., GIBSON, W.F., AND MC SMITH
- “Trends Over Two Decades of Transportation Research: A Machine Learning Approach.” Transportation Research, Record, 2017.BOYER, RYAN C., WILLIAM T. SCHERER, AND MICHAEL C. SMITH.
- “Visual analysis to support regulators in electronic order book markets.” Environment Systems and Decisions 36.2 (2016): 167-182.PADDRIK, MARK E., R. HAYES, A. TODD, AND W SCHERER
- “Crossed and Locked Quotes in a Multi-market Simulation,” PLOS ONE, 2016.TODD, ANDREW, BELING, P., AND SCHERER, W.T.
- “Stepping back from the trees to see the forest: a network approach to valuing intelligence.” Social Network Analysis and Mining 6.1 (2016): 72.SMITH, CHRISTOPHER M., WILLIAM T. SCHERER, AND ANDREW TODD.